The Catanauan Archaeological and Heritage Project (CAHP) have a clear vision for research and heritage work. We want to advance primary archaeological research in the Municipality of Catanauan for both a local and international audience. This is done while advancing community self-reliance in thinking about culture and history, with the aim of advancing basic-community-level heritage interest. It is our hope that these simultaneous approaches will lead to the active protection and promotion of Catanauan's natural and cultural heritage resources while improving what we know of our collective past.
The project is mainly based at the Archaeological Studies Program, University of the Philippines in Diliman, and a significant proportion of our field research time is linked to providing an archaeological field school structure for undergraduate students of the Australian National University and the the University of the Philippines.
- WHERE IT ALL HAPPENS
- The project is currently focused on the Municipality of Catanauan in the province of Quezon, within the western region of the Bondoc Peninsula, Philippines.
- WHEN IT ALL BEGAN
- The potential for archaeological research in the Catanauan area first became apparent in 2006 following a report from a concerned citizen that archaeological materials had been accidentally uncovered as a result of development projects, small scale sand quarrying and illicit diggings.
- EXCAVATION SEASONS
- To date there have been 5 excavation seasons. The first of these was in 2008 and the 6th season will be taking place in January and February of 2014
- WHO IS INVOLVED
- The project is a long term research initiative being undertaken in a collaboration between the Archaeological Studies Program at the University of the Philippines in Diliman (UP) and The Australian National University (ANU).
- THE ARCHAEOLOGY
- The Napa site consists mainly of a large cluster of both primary and secondary jar burials and the stone markers which cover them. Both primary and secondary burials have been identified.
- HERITAGE CONSCIOUSNESS
- The project aims to establish a sustainable avenue for ingraining a sense of heritage consciousness among the partner communities